How we do it
Wonders of Aviation is a community of aviation professionals who are committed to training tomorrow’s aviation leaders, and to providing ongoing education for Wonders of Aviation Award recipients, mentors, and role models.
The South African government is committed to having South African institutions reflect the composition of that country’s population. This commitment is implemented though policies and laws that support outreach programmes, as well as, the education and training of the previously disadvantaged.
Wonders of Aviation is committed to helping these South African institutions by supporting the development of future leaders who have been identified by those institutions. When an institution selects an Aviation Award recipient, that institution commits to covering the out-of-pocket costs of that winner’s participation in the training and educational activities provided by Wonders of Aviation, and providing a mentor for that Award winner. These institutions are also the source of employment for the future leaders.
Wonders of Aviation South Africa
WOA SA is a not for profit that supports the South African government’s commitment to having all South African institutions reflect the composition of that country’s population. This commitment is implemented though policies and laws that support outreach programs, as well as, the education and training of the previously disadvantaged.
WOA SA helps aeronautical institutions by supporting the development of future leaders. When an institution selects an exceptional teenager, as an Award Winner, that institution commits to covering the out-of-pocket costs of that winner’s participation in the training and educational activities provided by WOA SA, and provides a mentor for the Award Winner. These institutions are also the source of employment.
WOA SA obtains funding for its activities from a combination of governmental agencies, corporate entities, individuals, and funding provided by WOA a 501 c 3 corporation that is incorporated in Washington State. Our South African support is provided by the government, ACA Associates, Aero Club of South Africa, Airlines Association of Southern Africa, Air Traffic and Navigation Services, Boeing, Comair Ltd., Council for Science and Industrial Research (CSIR), GE, Jonker Sailplanes, Mango Airlines, National Aerospace Center, SA Express, South African Airways, and South African Weather Service.
The Wright Brothers created the single greatest cultural force since the invention of writing. The airplane became the first World Wide Web, bringing people, languages, ideas, and values together.
Bill Gates, Founder of Microsoft Corporation
South African Book Share Programme
Books have had a profound impact on most of our lives and the Book Share Program was created to enable aviation professionals to share their “special” book with teenagers who aspire to careers in aviation. The program was structured so that the donor and book become the foundation of an intra generational discussion. This is accomplished by having the donor provide the initial input regarding why the book was “special” and use that information as the foundation for a blog which will grow to with the thoughts of each person who reads the book. As a result, each book have its own blog which is accessible through www.wondersofaviation-southafrica.org
Wonders of Aviation and its Aviation Award Winners participate in the following aviation industry activities:
- Mango Airlines’ Career Day at the Swartkops Air Show;
- Aero Club of South Africa’s Awards Dinner; and
- Numerous outreach activities.
Wonders of Aviation’s commitment to creating a community of professionals includes participation in both internal and industry activities.
During 2016 the planned internal activities were:
- A day at Brits where all current and past Aviation Award recipients and their mentors participate in a day of soaring and education.
During 2016 the planned external aviation activities included:
- Co-hosting a booth at Mango Airlines’ Career Day with the Airlines Association of Southern Africa. Our staff will include mentors and past Aviation Award recipients. The Award winners will explain the range of employment options in aviation to guests. In addition, the mentors will introduce the Award winners to the numerous industry leaders at the event;
- Participating in the Aero Club of South Africa’s Annual Awards Dinner. This event will provide us with a wonderful venue for announcing our 2017 Aviation Award recipients. These future leaders will join the many other Award winners at this event. Mentors and former Award winners will have an opportunity to meet numerous industry leaders, as well as the press that provides coverage of the event; and
- Attending the Airlines Association of Southern Africa's Annual General Assembly (AGA) being held in Swakomund, Nambia from 20 to 23 October 2016. Several of our leaders will attend this gathering of industry professionals. Namibia's Minister of Works and Transport, Alpheus !Naruseb is expected to deliver the opening address on the 21st October. South Africa's Public Enterprise Minister, Lynne Brown will also be in attendance... Read more...