Wonders of Aviation relies on the aviation industry to identify high potential students who become the Wonders of Aviation Award recipients.
Award recipients learn about the aviation industry by participating in sessions that include a tour of an air traffic control tower; a ride in a helicopter; experience flying a plane either in an Airbus or Boeing flight simulator; instruction in gliding, and a flight in a glider; learning about aeronautical engineering and a tour of the Wits supersonic lab.
Award recipients are also taught how to help with outreach efforts, how to be mentors, and how to be a role model to future Award recipients. Wonders of Aviation works with supporting organisations to assist Award recipients in securing employment within the industry.
The air is the only place free from prejudices.
WOA’s Awards to-date, include:
- Aero Club of South Africa in conjunction with the Soaring Society of South Africa: a day of learning how to fly gliders;
- Airlines Association of Southern Africa: lunch at the Aero Club event;
- Comair Limited: flying a Boeing simulator and a course in business writing;
- South African Airways: flying an Airbus simulator;
- Air Traffic Navigation Services: a tour of the Johannesburg ATC tower;
- South African Civil Aviation Authority: a tour of an airport fire station and a flight in a helicopter;
- National Aerospace Centre: a tour of the University of the Witwatersrand’s supersonic labs; and
- Airbus Helicopters Southern Africa and Jonker Sailplanes: airplane memorabilia.